The student news site of KIPP Blytheville Collegiate High School

Strike Press

ASU competition full of challenges and rewards

Tai Allen and Aaliyah Davis

Tai Allen and Aaliyah Davis

Tai Allen and Aaliyah Davis

Aaliyah Davis

Last Saturday at ASU’s Communication Day competition, I had fun. It was very challenging knowing a lot of my competitors weren’t first year journalists like me.

My first thought when I walked inside the photography competition and when I saw the huge professional cameras I thought, “Oh crud, we lost.”  Although Tai and I didn’t win anything in that category, we had a heck of a time running around taking pictures, even though that task was boring.

Also, we competed in a round-table debate on whether or not technology advancing is good for the world or bad. We were both placed on a side. I was of the affirmative side, and Tai was on the negative side. Although I didn’t agree with the side I was on, I thought the discussion went smoothly.

I like being challenged and at the ASU onsite competition that was all I had coming towards me. As the friendly rivalry came to an end, awards were handed out.

Our website won first place in online newspaper. Our staff also won a honorable mention in the Black History videos we did. I won a honorable mention in the roundtable debate. Tai won third place in the roundtable debate. We ended the celebration with Gigi’s cupcakes. I can honestly say I enjoyed myself and all of the challenges.