The student news site of KIPP Blytheville Collegiate High School

Strike Press

Filed under News, Showcase

Davis named Jostens National Photo Contest winner

Recognized for phenomenal photography

Sophomores Raychal Royals and Dejona Johnson help unload the food for the KIPP booth at the Blytheville Chili Cook-Off on Saturday. The athletic department sold food as a fundraiser at the event. 

Aaliyah Davis's photo won fifth place in the Student Life category of the Jostens National Photo Contest.

Sophomores Raychal Royals and Dejona Johnson help unload the food for the KIPP booth at the Blytheville Chili Cook-Off on Saturday. The athletic department sold food as a fundraiser at the event. Aaliyah Davis's photo won fifth place in the Student Life category of the Jostens National Photo Contest.

Aaliyah Davis

Aaliyah Davis

Jostens, the leading provider of publications, jewelry and consumer goods serving the K-12 and college market, recently announced the winners of its nationally acclaimed 2017 Photo Contest. The annual competition, co-sponsored by Jostens and Wolfe’s Camera, celebrates the creative and innovative talents of student photographers from schools across the country. This competition empowers students to positively capture their school experiences and share the stories of their entire school communities through photography. The award-winning photos will be showcased in the next release of the Jostens Look Book which serve as a mode of inspiration for yearbook staffs across the country.

Entries from 4,000 student photographers were submitted from across the country. From these entries, 85 winners were selected. Photo contest submissions were judged by a panel of four judges consisting of professional photographers and photography instructors. The judges focused on composition, artistic merit, and technical qualities, as well as the ability to convey a compelling story.

Aaliyah Davis is in Tracey Yates Thompson’s journalism program.

“I am so thrilled that Aaliyah is receiving this amazing honor,” Thompson said. “For a first year journalist to get recognition in a contest this competitive is a huge accomplishment.”

One Grand Prize winner was selected along with 1st – 5th place and honorable mention winners from ten categories: Academics/Community Service, Graduation, Photo Illustration/Manipulation, Portrait, ReplayIt Mobile, Sports: Athletes in Action, Sports: Sidelines & School Spirit, Student Life & Traditions, Yearbookers in Action, and Junior High/Middle School.

“Jostens is thrilled to recognize the remarkable photographic talents of students nationwide. The winners of the photo contest were able to capture a variety of school experiences and tell a story through the lens of the camera,” said Sara Sausker, Jostens program manager, education. “The judges held the photographs to professional standards. The technical quality and story-telling ability of these photos are outstanding and cannot be surpassed.”

Founded in 1897, Jostens has produced school yearbooks for over 60 years. Schools rely onJostens and their local Jostens representatives to provide a combination of journalism educationand technology tools to deliver a learning experience that helps students develop 21st century skills in journalism, photography, writing and design, leadership and business while creating the permanent record of the school year. Jostens invests in state of the art technology, best in class service, educational curriculum and award winning print manufacturing platforms to plan, design, build and produce yearbooks.